The very best crispy oven fries you've ever tried. Sharing a secret trick to get the crispiest baked french fries ever. Made healthier with avocado oil, and by baking instead of deep frying.
Healthy food can include comfort food and childhood favourites - and this crispy baked french fry recipe is proof. Just like these almond flour chicken fingers, and this dairy free chicken afredo - this healthier version does not disappoint.
Recently we discovered this secret hack for making the best crispy oven fries ever. What makes them the best oven fries?! They are juicy on the inside, but crispy and almost caramelized on the outside. It may sound too good to be true, but they have the texture and taste of deep fried french fries, but made at home in the oven!
Best of all, they are made with healthier ingredients and are super easy to make. You won't believe what the secret is to making these crispy oven fries! One thing I know for sure: I won't be making french fries any other way from now on!!
For this recipe you will need just a few simple ingredients:
- Potatoes - large white potatoes have worked best for us, but we have also tested yukon gold, and russet potatoes. You can leave the skin on, or peel if you prefer.
- Avocado oil - a healthier cooking oil, avocado oil is great for baking and roasting at high temperatures and has a neutral flavour. I wouldn't recommend swapping.
- Vinegar - we've tested this recipe with both apple cider vinegar, and white vinegar. You can use either, though I prefer apple cider vinegar. I did notice that the white vinegar gave the potatoes a slightly more vinegar-y flavour (which was also delicious).
See recipe card for quantities.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
1. Boil - using a large pot, bring approximately 3 litres of water to a boil. Add in the apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar). Place sliced potatoes in the boiling water, then boil for 8 – 10 minutes until just fork tender. Strain, then spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and let cool slightly.
2. Bake - Preheat oven to 375ºF. Drizzle the boiled fries with avocado oil (3-4 tablespoon) and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Toss, then arrange fries to lay flat on the pan. If overcrowded, spread out on two baking sheets.
Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip fries. Put back in oven, and bake 20 more minutes or until golden and crispy on all sides.
4. Season - Remove from the oven, and place on a parchment lined serving tray or plate. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and flaked sea salt. Serve with ketchup, and enjoy!
💭 Top tips for crispy french fries
- Golden french fries - be sure to flip the fries half way through baking to ensure they turn golden and crispy on both sides
- Vinegar - adding vinegar to the water when you boil the fries helps to make the fries extra juicy and crispy once baked. You won't really taste the vinegar once they are cooked! I highly recommend trying this secret hack for making the crispiest oven baked fries, you won't regret it!
- Salt - while sweet potato fries are best salted after baking to ensure they remain crispy, these oven fries can be salted before baking, when you add the avocado oil.
Boiling the french fries before baking allows them to become extra moist, juicy and delicious! They won't try out in the oven this way, and you will also cut down on baking time as they are almost cooked before they even enter the oven. The baking is just to make them crispy!
I wouldn't recommend it. We use avocado oil for all baking, roasting and frying as it has a high smoke point and neutral flavour. Canola oil is highly refined and is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) which can contribute to inflammation in the body.
Every oven is different! I find that these bake well at 375ºF in my oven, but you might try turning your oven up to 400ºF. Keep an eye on the fries to ensure they don't burn if you try this.
Please tag me @nourishmintkitchen and share on your IG stories if you make this recipe, I would love to see your creations!
Very Best Crispy Oven Fries
- Large baking sheet
- 2.5 pounds white potatoes approx. 5 large potatoes; sliced into ½ inch fries
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar; both have been tested
- 3 litres water
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- parsley finely chopped
- flaked sea salt
- Using a large pot, bring 3 litres of water to a rolling boil. Add in the apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar). Place sliced potatoes in the boiling water, then boil for 8 - 10 minutes until just fork tender. Strain, then spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Drizzle the boiled fries with avocado oil (3-4 tbsp) and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Toss, then arrange fries to lay flat on the pan. If overcrowded, spread out on two baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip fries. Put back in oven, and bake 20 more minutes or until golden and crispy on all sides.
- Remove from the oven, and place on a parchment lined serving tray or plate. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and flaked sea salt. Serve with ketchup, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply