We all need a little bit of extra digestive support from time to time. The Standard American Diet - which is high in processed foods, gluten, dairy, and meat products, can be especially hard on the digestive system.
To top it off, genetically modified foods are also disruptive to the microflora balance in your gut, and can promote the growth of harmful bacteria. This can have detrimental effects on the immune system, and even your mood. GMO foods are also known to decrease digestive enzymes, therefore further impairing digestion.  Herbicide residues from roundup and glycophosate wreak havoc in the digestive system (and entire body for that matter)!
The top GMO foods are: soy, corn, beet sugar, and canola. Look for Certified Organic labels when shopping for these foods, because that means they will also be non-GMO. Read more about how GMO foods alter your digestion here.
Using Essential Oils to Support Digestion
Whether you suffer with sluggish digestion, digestive upset when travelling, or struggle with bloating and indigestion on a daily basis: essential oils have got you covered.
Digize is a blend of pure tarragon, juniper, anise, ginger, fennel, patchouli, peppermint, and lemongrass. This blend can act as a carminative and antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive discomfort. You can diffuse, directly inhale, or dilute and apply topically. I find that the best way to use this blend is to attach a roller right to the bottle, and apply over your stomach when you are experiencing indigestion and bloating.
AromaEase has a cool, minty aroma and contains powerful essential oil constituents that promote feelings of calmness. AromaEase differs from Digize in that it is formulated to address emotional stress that effects the stomach and digestive tract.
AromaEase contains peppermint, spearmint essential oil, ginger essential oil, cardamom essential oil, and foeniculum vulgare (Fennel) essential oil.
AromaEase can also be used as a nervine and calmative, enhancing relaxation; and as a carminative and antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive discomfort. Apply to the chest, neck and abdomen.
One of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs, peppermint essential oil has a fresh aroma that is energizing to give you a renewed feeling of vigor. I like to take an empty 15 ml peppermint bottle, fill it half and half with peppermint essential oil, and fractionated coconut oil (or your choice of carrier oil). Then add an aroma glide roller filament to the top of the bottle and you have got a concentrated peppermint roll-on. Again, peppermint can act as a carminative and antispasmodic when experiencing digestive discomfort, so all you have to do is roll this diluted blend right over your tummy and you'll feel it's soothing effects in no time!
As a dietary supplement, Peppermint Vitality oil can support healthy gut function and digestive efficiency.
- Add to your daily dietary supplements as overall support for healthy digestive system comfort.* Simply add 1–2 drops in a vegetarian gel capsule and take daily or as needed.
- Include a drop in a tall glass of cool water for a refreshing start to your morning.
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) has a sweet, earthy, anise-like aroma that is energizing, vitalizing, and balancing. It also has a long history of encouraging grounding feelings.
Fennel can act as a carminative and antispasmodic when experiencing digestive discomfort. You can dilute and apply topically over the tummy. Or, add 1-2 drops to an empty veggie capsule with fractionated coconut oil, and take internally.
Fennel Vitality is fantastic in post-meal tonics and teas for digestive support and can be taken with your daily dietary supplement to support a normal, healthy outlook during PMS.
- Add 1–2 drops to your favorite beverage to enjoy its black licorice flavor.
- Add 1–2 drops to a cup of tea or warm glass of water after meals for digestive support.
How to purchase essential oils
So... now you know how these essential oils can act as natural alternatives to everyday digestive discomfort, and you're wondering "how do I get started with using Young Living essential oils?"
It's as simple as creating a wholesale account with Young Living! There are two options: you can purchase a Premium Starter Kit (which includes 11 essential oils + a diffuser, and is the most economical way to go), or you can create a wholesale account for free in Canada, and purchase any essential oils you'd like at 24% off retail.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP, AND FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Select the “Member” membership type. This choice allows you to get discounted pricing and it qualifies you for the potential of referral commissions, and allows you to enjoy the benefits and convenience of Essential Rewards.
- Enter my enroller number: 3419014 into both the enroller and sponsor fields
- Select your country and language.
- Click “Continue”.
- Fill out your shipping information. Click “I agree” to the terms and conditions, and click “Agree and Continue.”
- Choose the Premium Starter Kit (or if you’re in Canada, you can skip this step and order any products you’d like once your account is set up).
- Once you’ve completed this process, you will be given your own member number, which will allow you to start shopping with wholesale prices immediately. At this point, I recommend that you sign up for Essential Rewards, so that you can earn FREE oils and enjoy discounted shipping every month!