You’ve probably heard of blending collagen into matcha or bulletproof coffee…. because it makes the most delicious, creamy latte. But today I wanted to share a different idea for incorporating collagen into your diet.
This cold sweet treat is perfect for summer, contains lots of healthy fats, protein, and antioxidants! Before I share this recipe with you, let me tell you a little bit about collagen.
Why Supplement with Collagen?
Collagen is the basic matrix of your connective tissues – skin, cartilage, and bones. It gives us strength, elasticity, and mobility. After we reach our mid – twenties, collagen production starts to decline by about 1% per year.
There are over 20 different types of collagen in the body, but there are three main types: type I, type II and type III. These three types make up for 80-90% of the collagen in your body. Types I and III support healthy skin, tendons, bones, and ligaments. Type II is used in joint cartilage. Collagen can also help to heal the lining of your digestive tract. For those who have leaky gut or damage to the digestive tract, collagen can be very useful.
>>> Supplementing with collagen can help to support healthy hair,
skin, nails, joints, and even a healthy digestive system! <<<
Choosing a Collagen Supplement
Collagen can be marine sourced (from fish scales) or bovine sourced. When choosing a collagen supplement, there are some important things to look for:
- Hydrolised collagen means the proteins have been broken down into peptides, making it more bio-available for your body. Collagen peptides are easily absorbed in the digestive system, and will act as the building blocks so that your body can form it’s own collagen
- If you choose marine sourced collagen, make sure that it comes from a sustainable source, and is tested for heavy metals
- If you choose a bovine sourced collagen, look for one that comes from organic, non-GMO, grass fed beef
I recommend Benesse Collagen because it is:
- 100% natural
- free of heavy metals
- marine sourced
- MSC certified sustainable seafood
- sourced from the north Atlantic
- the purest collagen supplement on the market derived from deep sea cod skin
You should start to see beneficial results after supplementing with 5 – 10 grams of collagen per day, for 5 weeks.