Hibiscus is a natural source of alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), which help to exfoliate the skin and reduce clogged pores. While chemical forms of AHAs are very damaging to the skin, the natural form of AHAs found in hibiscus flowers provide health benefits, without the harsh side effects. AHAs also help to moisturize and firm the appearance of your skin.
Hibiscus flowers also contain antioxidants, called “anthocyanocides.” Antioxidants help to protect against free radical damage, lower inflammation, and therefore encourage the appearance of younger, fresher-looking skin.
Hibiscus flower skin benefits:
- rich in antioxidants
- firms skin
- lowers inflammation
- evens skin tone
- gently exfoliates
- suitable for sensitive skin
Exfoliating gets rid of dead skin cells and allows new cells to regenerate. Add this beautiful exfoliating scrub to your weekly skincare + self-care rituals for glowing, nourished skin.
Himalayan Salt + Hibiscus
Flower Exfoliating Scrub
- 3 tablespoon Himalayan salt (finely ground)
- 2 tablespoon dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil
- 5 drops geranium essential oil
- Use a food processor (or coffee grinder) to grind the 2 tablespoon of dried hibiscus flower into a fine powder. It will turn into 1 tablespoon of fine, bright pink powder.
- Mix the himalayan salt and hibiscus flower together.
3. Add the coconut oil + jojoba oil + geranium essential oil.
4. Stir everything together!
Store in a glass jar with a good seal. I like to re-use these little yoghurt jars for all my homemade DIY skincare products! They are the perfect size, and you can usually buy plastic lids for them at the grocery store.
How to exfoliate:
- Wet your face with a warm wash cloth and remove any makeup
- Massage a small amount of the exfoliator (about ½ - 1 tsp) into your skin in a circular motion
- Rinse well and wipe away any excess salt with a warm wash cloth.
- The hibiscus flowers are quite red / pink and may leave a slight red tone on your cheeks. It is nothing extreme - it actually just looks like a nice blush or glow!
- After you exfoliate, it is always a good idea to use a gentle toner to add moisture to your skin, then your face oil last.
- You shouldn't need to exfoliate more than once a week.