Gooey, rich and delicious double chocolate chickpea brownies that are gluten free, refined sugar free, and easy! Packed with protein and healthy fats, these brownies make a great snack.Jump to Recipe
These healthy and tasty brownies are sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings, without the refined sugar! I have always loved brownies. They were the first thing I remember learning to bake by myself! I was always asking my Mom if I could make another batch. There’s something therapeutic about mixing egg, cocoa powder and chocolate in a bowl to form a delicious mud-pie looking mixture.
These brownies are a spin on Chickpea Blondies. In fact, you can make these as blondies if you eliminate the cocoa powder and instead just use chocolate chips. But in my opinion you can never have too much chocolate, so I opted to add a generous amount of dark cocoa powder (I like this kind, or this kind) for a rich and decadent flavour.
Enjoy Right Out of the Oven
Of course, the best way to enjoy brownies is straight out of the oven! Gooey, warm and oozing chocolate. Enjoy with a cup of tea or a fresh cup of coffee and you’ve go the most delicious café-worthy dessert.
These would be the perfect desert to bring to your next family dinner, they are sure to please everyone. For a peanut butter alternative, try almond butter, cashew butter, or even tahini for a nut-free option.
I love to health-ify my baking with ingredients such as chickpeas, peanut butter and coconut oil – turning these brownies into a healthy protein-packed snack.
Double Chocolate Chickpea Brownies
- Food processor
- 8 x 8 baking pan
- 1 can Chickpeas (398 ml) drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup Peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- ¼ cup Coconut oil melted
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Cocoa powder or raw cacao
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ½ cup Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas, maple syrup, peanut butter, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Once blended, add the the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Grease a 8 x 8 baking pan with coconut oil (optional: cut out a square of parchment paper to line the bottom to ensure that the brownies don't stick)
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. If you'd like, you can swirl some peanut butter into the top of the brownies for a pretty design. Then, add the chocolate chips, pressing some into the batter while leaving others on top.
- Bake at 350ºF for 14 – 15 minutes. I like to take them out while the middle is still gooey, this way they are extra tasty! Enjoy!
If you make these Double Chocolate Chickpea Brownies, be sure to share a photo on Instagram and tag me @nourishmintkitchen so that I can see your delicious creations!