You know those days when you wake up late and only have time to drink your coffee, and eat a couple pieces of fruit before you run out the door? That’s been happening to me a lot lately. I get to work and I’m super hungry for lunch by 10 am! Preparing a healthy, energy boosting breakfast can often be hard when you’re in the midst of a busy work or school week.
If you’re under a lot of stress, incorporating oats into your breakfast is a good natural source of GABA. Otherwise known as “the calming amino acid”, GABA plays a key role as the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in your brain. GABA inhibits excitation, therefore encouraging the nerves and muscles in your body to relax.
Who wouldn’t want to start their morning with some calming overnight oats?!
This recipe only takes 5 minutes to prepare ahead the night before. Pop in in the fridge before bed, and this delicious breakfast will be waiting for you in the morning!
Overnight Oats with Raspberry Chia Jam
Overnight oats make for an easy, nutritious breakfast.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Chia Seed Jam:
- One 500g bag frozen raspberries (approximately 4 cups)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 drops Young Living vitality lemon essential oil, or a squeeze of fresh lemon for an extra zesty taste
For the jam:
- Add the raspberries to medium sized pot, on medium heat.
- Bring to a slow boil (lots of water will melt out of the raspberries) and let simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Add maple syrup (to taste), chia seeds, and vanilla.
- Let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. You will notice that the raspberries break apart, and the chia seeds will expand, making the perfect jam consistency.
- When the mixture is the right thick consistency, take off the stove and let cool.
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil, or a squeeze of fresh lemon for some extra zest.
For the overnight oats:
- Add rolled oats and chia seeds to a glass mason jar in layers.
- Stir in raspberry chia seed jam, vanilla extract and coconut milk.
- Let sit overnight in fridge to allow chia seeds and oats to expand.
- Top with hemp heart toppers, blueberries, more chia seed jam – or your favourite fruit! Bee pollen also makes a beautiful and nutritious topping.